State Establishment «Republican Scientific and Practical Center of Oncology and Medical Radiology named after N.N. Aleksandrov»
State Establishment «Republican Scientific and Practical Center of Oncology and Medical Radiology named after N.N. Aleksandrov» is a leading oncology center of the Republic of Belarus which offers a full range of services in the field of diagnostics, treatment and education.
The center provides treatment and examination services for the citizens of the Republic of Belarus on a free basis, and also offers chargeable medical services for foreign citizens.
State Establishment «Republican Scientific and Practical Center of Oncology and Medical Radiology named after N.N. Aleksandrov» is a unique scientific-treatment-educational center. It comprises 4 scientific units and 10 scientific laboratories, 17 inpatient units and 15 diagnostic units.
There are 1750 specialists working at the center, among them there are 389 physicians, 150 of which are of superior expert category and 91 of them are of the first category. The staff consists of 8 Associate Professors, 24 Doctors of Medical Sciences and 75 Candidates of Medical and Biological Sciences, 11 professors and a corresponding member of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus.
Specialists of the center have developed unique treatment methods having no analogues in CIS countries and worldwide, such as the following ones:
- General hyperthermia of common forms of oncological diseases;
- Photodynamic therapy of pre-malignant conditions of female reproductive organs;
- Radio frequency ablation of tumors and modifying effects.
Specialists of the center are well-skilled in the treatment of all kinds of malignant tumors applying different methods of surgical, radiation treatment and chemotherapy. Diagnostic units are equipped with modern appliances, which make it possible to make a diagnosis in a very short time even in the most complicated cases.
Annually, more than 20 thousand patients are treated at the center, more than 15 thousand operations are performed, more than 1,5 million diagnostic and laboratory investigations are carried out; more than 1 thousand of people use the services of consulting and outpatient unit. The center has a wide range of modern diagnostic tests, there is a molecular-genetic laboratory of carcinogenesis and PET-CT-diagnostics, also there are 20 modern surgery rooms.
State Establishment «Republican Scientific and Practical Center of Oncology and Medical Radiology named after N.N. Aleksandrov» possesses 4 modern linear electron accelerators produced by the American company «Varian Medical Systems», which make it possible to carry out high-tech radiation therapy against cancer of all localizations, including stereotactic radiosurgery.
Radiation therapy is carried out with the application of the following methods:
- VMAT – space-modulated radiotherapy;
- IMRT- intensity-modulated radiation therapy;
- SRS – stereotactic radiosurgery;
- SRT – stereotactic radiation therapy;
- IGRT – image-guided radiation therapy;
- 3D-CRT – 3 Dimensional Conformal Radiotherapy.
Application of linear accelerators of the latest generation Truebeam STx and Trilogy means the following:
- time reduction of tumor radiation due to the higher level of radiation;
- possibility to keep healthy organs and tissues undamaged;
- improvement of the quality of medical care provided for oncology patient – side effects of radiotherapy are less evident.
Application of stereotactic gamma therapy unit «Gamma Knife» (Leksell Gamma Knife® Perfexion) produced by the Swedish company «Elekta» means the following:
- radiation therapy is carried out in one day (from 1 to 4 hours), without an evident discomfort for a patient;
- reduction of radiation exposure on other parts of the body comparing with other methods;
- 3-times fall in the number of the cases with regression of metastases after the treatment.
Application of the most advanced brachitherapeutic system “Flexitron» produced by Dutch company «Nucletron» means the following:
- possibility to use higher doses of radiation causing no harm to the whole body;
- radiation influencing locally on the tumor affected area with a minimum contact to healthy tissues and organs;
- possibility to treat prostate cancer;
- long delaying time to relapse;
- quick rehabilitation period.
The main treasure of the Republican Scientific and Practical Center of Oncology and Medical Radiology named after N.N. Aleksandrov is its staff of like-minded professionals with a high level of knowledge, whose energy and all strengths are put to achieve the main goal – successful struggle against malignant tumors.